The intern experience at The Indy is unlike any other professional experience I’ve had. Rarely do interns at other publications get so many opportunities to write stories from day one. The people at The Indy are very welcoming and helpful, and they trust their interns’ abilities. Because of this, I was able to work on a long-term project about diversity in education that I really cared about. I’ve had meaningful interviews with various people ranging from community members to well-known politicians. I would recommend this internship for anyone looking to learn more about the journalism industry, Nevada’s vibrant communities or both!
— Chanel Pulido, 2021 intern
Interning with The Indy is a one-of-a-kind experience. I got to work with a great staff — on stories big and small — who helped me become a better reporter, writer, communicator and journalist.”
— Zach Bright, 2021 intern
We take applications at any time, but upcoming application dates are as follows:
Spring 2022 internship deadline is Nov. 12, 2021.
- College senior or post-graduation status OR at least one reference from a prior internship for a news organization
- Ability to work full time
- Internet access and a laptop (we do not maintain a physical office so this is a mostly remote work opportunity)
- Ability to work weekdays between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. (or until your planned story is filed) as well as some weekends (as required by events)
- A reliable vehicle and the ability to cover events in person
- Strong writing skills (a writing test may be administered)
- Strong internet research and information-gathering skills
- Experience with table-building or working in Excel
- Willingness to do some data entry
- Ability to multitask or change directions from day to day without getting flustered
- Ability to self-manage and work independently
- Ability to generate story ideas
- Data journalism and/or info-mapping skills
- Experience in one or more data graphics platforms (like Google Fusion, Tableau, Infogram, etc.)
- Spanish language skills are a big plus
Pay and benefits:
- Indy interns are short-term employees.
- $15 per hour
- $25 per paycheck (every two weeks) cell phone use allowance
- Three days of paid PTO
Please send a resume, cover letter and writing samples to [email protected].